Our teaching is based on the White Rose Maths Hub. Here is a copy of their calculation policy, which should help to explain the methods we use to teach calculation at various ages/stages.
• An understanding of the important concepts and an ability to make connections within mathematics.
• A broad range of skills in using and applying mathematics.
• Fluent knowledge and recall of number facts and the number system.
• The ability to show initiative in solving problems in a wide range of contexts, including the new or unusual.
• The ability to think independently and to persevere when faced with challenges, showing a confidence of success.
• The ability to embrace the value of learning from mistakes and false starts.
• The ability to reason, generalise and make sense of solutions.
• Fluency in performing written and mental calculations and mathematical techniques.
• A wide range of mathematical vocabulary.
• A commitment to and passion for the subject.
These documents from the NCETM website show the progression of skills in each area of Maths. It also shows what your child should be able to do by the end of each year group.
Properties of shapes
Ratio & Proportion
Multiplication & Division
Addition & Subtraction